We can assist older students with breaking down assignments/assessments, drawing up a schedule or action plan to meet deadlines etc. and younger students to meet necessary outcomes to progress successfully through their school year.
While subject tutoring assists a student in a specific subject, our mentoring program benefits are widespread, with benefits filtering into all subject areas.
Teachers are qualified to assist students to improve their numeracy and literacy across all subject areas, and are able to assist with subject specific content, focusing on the subject syllabus as set by the BOSTES (The Board of Studies Teaching and Educational Standards).
Our mentoring workshops strive to improve a student’s school results by explicitly teaching skills and knowledge in a fun and interactive way. We encourage and guide students to effective study habits and examination skills and strategies. We plan with the student to engage them in their own learning. We come alongside and work in partnership with them to make positive changes. Goals are set out by the student during all important planning meetings on enrolment, at the start, middle and end of each term. Students are taught to evaluate and reflect on their work.
As we state in About Us – “Our Values”, at Unity Studios we take a genuine interest in our members. We work tirelessly to create a well-rounded nurturing environment that fosters a culture of education through communication, teamwork and collaboration, the celebration of individuality, creativity, empowerment and encouragement.[/stm_icon_box]
Motivation is our goal as we meet each student “where they are at”.
While we look at specific content with students, our focus is more on mentoring.
Theorist Simon Sinek said it best in this inspiring and truthful quote, “A mentor is not someone who walks ahead of you to show you how they did it. A mentor walks alongside you to show you what you can do.” This is always our approach when facilitating our sessions.
We are all individuals with different needs, strengths and weaknesses. We each need to find our own “best”, most productive and fitting way to reach our goals.
Unity Studios mentoring programs
- equip students with valuable & practical information; knowledge & skills focussing on higher order thinking, exploration and discovery
- build character and healthy realisation of self worth through connection & communication, integrity & social skills
- foster a lifelong love of learning
- aim to teach students about self responsibility
- teaches resilience and the importance of resourcefulness
- highlights the importance of networks in setting and achieving goals
- is student directed; working from prior knowledge and skills, passions, interests and strengths
“The mentors at Unity Studios form a good relationship with you, so you can trust them and have a good talk about basically anything.
They try their best to understand what you’re saying and try to help you with a solution. I trust them to help me achieve my goals, they don’t take it easy on you but the work is fun.
Overall it’s good because I feel I am on my way to achieving my goals, while having some fun and making friends.
I give Unity Studios a solid 9.5/10.”
– Michael, Year 8 Ignition student.
A key element of learning at Unity Studios is goal setting. Here are some of the questions we ask students when they begin with US –
- What are my strengths?
- What areas would I like to improve?
- What do I love doing/what am I passionate about?
- How well do I communicate?
- What do I hope for short term/long term?
- How do I learn?
- What can I do to get the best results I can?
“Today I watched my daughter begin her tutoring session in tears at the thought of doing maths. Within 5 minutes she had the biggest smile on her face and was happily learning. Thank you so much, you are truly making a difference in her life!” – Peggy
“First session today. My year 9 student walked in with a storm on her shoulders and walked out smiling, chatty and relaxed and couldn’t wait to talk to me about Commerce studies. Thanks Cassandra, Today I can see the difference between teachers and educators.” – Liza
“Absolutely love this place! So kind and wonderful! Have helped me with my studies and how to balance out my HSC! Thank you so much!” – Shanya
“The results speak for themselves. My sons self esteem, confidence and exam results have all improved. Thank you so much Cassandra and Liam.”- Julie
Foundation (Kindergarten – Year 4)
- foundation skills & knowledge
- numeracy & literacy.
Launch (Years 5 – 6)
- aids transition from primary school
- prepares students for high school.
Ignition (Years 7 – 10)
- designed to keep student’s high school studies on track
- individual subject tutoring in areas of need
- organisation & motivation
- resilience & self confidence.
Pathfinder (Years 11 – 12)
- study and exam skills
- organisation/scheduling/time management
- access to a careers advisor to explore pathways for life after secondary school.